Help for renters and landlords

Rental assistance for renters and landlords is available through the California COVID-19 Rent Relief Program. Go to the application portal or call 1‑833‑430‑2122 to apply as a renter or landlord.

Apply at Housing Is Key

California is protecting people experiencing homelessness during coronavirus and preventing others from losing their homes.

On this page you will find:

Help for renters, homeowners, and small landlords

The Tenant, Homeowner and Small Landlord Relief and Stabilization Act of 2020 provides renters, homeowners, and small landlords with relief if coronavirus or the quarantine has impacted your ability to pay all or part of your rent or mortgage.

More information is available at Housing is Key


An executive order protects you from eviction if coronavirus or the quarantine impacted your ability to pay all or part of your rent between March 4, 2020, and August 31, 2020.

The Tenant, Homeowner and Small Landlord Relief and Stabilization Act protects you from eviction if you are unable to pay some or all of your rent due to coronavirus or the quarantine between September 1, 2020, and June 30, 2021. You’ll need to pay at least 25% of your rent for this period. You can do that monthly or in one lump sum by June 30, 2021.

In both situations, you must provide your landlord with a declaration of financial hardship. Make sure you:

  • Explain your financial situation to your landlord and tell them how much you can pay 
  • Save all financial documents 
  • Pay as much of your rent as you can

If your landlord is attempting to evict you and you took all the above steps, contact a local legal aid provider and learn about your protections.

Many utility providers are not shutting off services due to non-payment. Check with the California Public Utilities Commission for more information.

The Water Board restricts the shut off of water during the COVID crisis. Report any water shutoff or reconnect issue at COVID-19 Water Shut-Off Complaint Report.

Homeowners and small landlords

Foreclosure protection is available for homeowners and small landlords who have federally-backed mortgages through the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act. This includes landlords with four or fewer properties (whether or not they’re owner-occupied). 

Homeowners or small landlords who don’t have federally-backed loans can contact their loan servicers to request forbearance. Your lender must provide detailed reasons if they deny your forbearance request. You can contest a denial.

These financial institutions may be able to reduce or delay your monthly payment. In addition, they will:

  • Give you a streamlined process to request forbearance for coronavirus-related reasons, supported with available documentation
  • Confirm approval of and terms of the forbearance program
  • Provide the opportunity to extend your forbearance agreement if you continue to experience hardship due to coronavirus

Learn more about other mortgage protections and resources.

Help for people experiencing homelessness

If you’re experiencing homelessness, you can contact your local homeless continuum of care. In many communities, you can also call 211 for help.

You may be able to get a hotel or motel room through Project Roomkey and the state’s partnership with Motel 6.

Homeless assistance providers

If you’re a homeless assistance provider, determine your community’s need for rooms before you request support from the state. Work with your local continuum of care, emergency management, social services, tribes, and other partners.

California has set aside $150 million in emergency funding to protect the homeless during the coronavirus. Here are some FAQs for homeless assistance providers about those funds.

Temporary housing for essential workers

Housing for the Harvest offers temporary housing to agriculture and food processing workers who need to isolate due to coronavirus infection or exposure. Under this program, the state will pay for hotel rooms for agricultural workers who need to self-isolate. 

Visit housing for agricultural workers to find out program eligibility.

Hotel rooms for healthcare workers 

The Non-Congregate Sheltering (NCS) for California Healthcare Workers Program keeps healthcare workers safe and reduces the spread of the coronavirus. It provides hotel rooms to healthcare workers who give critical care to COVID-19 patients so they don’t bring home the virus to their household. Check the program information to find out about eligibility and how to reserve a room.

Questions and answers

I am homeless and I may have come in contact with coronavirus. How can I self-isolate with nowhere to go and services closing down?

A motel or hotel room may be available for you and your family. Contact your local homeless continuum of care to connect you to this service.

Will there be a rent freeze or waiver for renters? Are evictions allowed during the stay at home order?

The Tenant, Homeowner and Small Landlord Relief and Stabilization Act and an executive order have halted evictions and protected renters. If you are financially affected by  coronavirus and can’t pay your full rent, let your landlord know in writing within seven days of the rent due date. Save documentation as proof. The order does not relieve you from paying rent. It also does not restrict your landlord from collecting rent later.

How do I get mortgage relief and/or forbearance?

Contact and work directly with your mortgage servicer to learn about and apply for available relief. Some financial institutions and their servicers are experiencing a high volume of inquiries.

How long will the mortgage forbearance last?

You’ll agree on the terms of a forbearance with your mortgage service. Financial institutions will confirm approval of and terms of the forbearance program.

Stay informed